The old cabin location was no longer viable and the cabin itself had fallen into disrepair over the fall, winter, and spring. Luckily, my great-uncle Bryce offered use of a patch of woods on his property. I set to work immediately, first assembling a crew and then acquiring materials and tools for the summer endeavour: We may have begged; we may have borrowed; but we never stole.
The land was cleared, post holes were dug, cleared trees were used for walls and other structural elements, and little by little a cabin was created. We raised the floors with old pallets, insulated the walls with donated foam, and even had a window and some old laminate flooring donated. There was a working window (and door of course) and we managed to spend a night inside before having to return home.
My great-uncle sold that property in 2020, but we're told the cabin is still standing and in pretty good shape.